- 4-20 mA Input
- Loop-Powered Process Meter
- 1.5 Volt Drop (4.7 Volt Drop with Backlight)
- Loop-Powered Backlight with Red Backlight for Alarm Conditions
- NEMA 4X, IP65 Front
- -40 to 167°F (-40 to 75°C) Safe Area Operating Temperature Range
- Free PC-Based USB Programming Software
- 5-Digit Alphanumeric Top Line
- 8-Digit Alphanumeric Bottom Line
- Displays Level in Feet & Inches up to 999 Feet, 11 & 15/16 Inches
- 20-Segment Bargraph with Numeric Percent Indication
- Conformal Coated PCBs for Dust & Humidity Protection
- Two Open Collector Outputs Standard
- Optional Loop-Powered Solid State Relays
- Optional 4-20 mA Analog Output
- Relay Pump Alternation Based on Level and Runtime
- Display Relay Runtime and Cycle Count
- UL & C-UL 61010 Listed for Electrical Safety
- UL & C-UL Listed as Intrinsically Safe and Nonincendive
- ATEX and IECEx Certified as Intrinsically Safe
The Loop Leader’s display provides multiple ways to help users understand and keep track of their processes. The most obvious is the dual line which typically allows the user to display a numeric value of the process variable on the top line and units and/or a tag on the bottom line. There is also a bargraph that includes a numeric value of the percentage the bargraph represents. Finally, to alert users to an alarm condition, the display can turn red and flash an alarm message.
Dual-Line Display with PV/Units/Tag/Bargraph
One of the most common configurations of these instruments is displaying the process variable on the top line and units and a tag toggling on the bottom line with a bargraph for additional clarity:
To help users get a quick understanding of where their process is at, certain Loop Leader skus are available with a 20-segment bargraph. This bargraph also includes a numeric value of the percentage the bargraph represents.
PV on the top line; units and tag toggling on the bottom line
Bargraph Provides Quick Understanding
To help users get a quick understanding of where their process is at, certain Loop Leader model are available with a 20-segment bargraph. This bargraph also includes a numeric value of the percentage the bargraph represents. The bargraph can be programmed to represent the percent of PV1 or PV2 or it can be scaled to any range within the scale.
The max & min readings (peak & valley) reached by the process can be displayed either continuously or momentarily:
- Display momentarily by pressing the F1 key (default) or assigning to any of the other function keys or to the digital input in the User menu. Press Enter to lock/unlock max/min display.
- Display continuously by assigning either display line to max/min through the Display menu.
Any of the F1-F3 function keys (buttons) and the digital input can be programmed to reset the max & min readings.
Dual-Scale Display Feature
Users can use the Loop Leader’s dual-scale feature when they want to show the same input in two different scales. For instance, the following example shows an application where the Loop Leader displays the input in feet and gallons:
Feet & Inches Display with Bargraph
There are Loop Leader skus available for users that prefer to see their level displayed in feet & inches instead of decimal format. These versions can display level to 999FT 11IN & 15/16 on the top line. The bottom line can toggle between a tag and units or if dual scale mode is used, can display the input in a different scale such as volume.
Predefined and Custom Units
The meter has six available preprogrammed unit classes, volume, height, temperature, pressure, weight, and rate. When the desired unit class or unit of measure within a class is not available, a custom unit may be programmed by using the (CUSTOM) menu.
The tare function zeroes out the display. In the case of scale weight, tare is used to eliminate container weight and provide net weight readings. The captured tare may be reset manually with any function key or digital input.
Change Between Units without Needing to Re-Scale the Meter
It is possible to change the display units within the selected unit class without the need to re-scale the meter. When selecting a new unit from within the DISPLAY menu (e.g. changing from gallons (GAL) to liters (L)), the meter will automatically convert the display values to display the new unit. If entering a custom unit (CUSTM), a custom conversion factor will need to be entered.
Alarms Indicated by Flashing Red Messages
When an alarm occurs, the Loop Leader’s display can be programmed to turn red and flash an alarm message along with the process variable and an alarm indicator (!). (Alarm indicator symbols are not available on bargraph skus) The Loop Leader’s flashing red alarm message can be activated even if no relay or open collector is connected.
Loop Leaders are available with two open collector outputs as standard and two solid state relays and 4-20 mA output as options. The open collector outputs and relays generally operate in the same manner, with the major exception being the open collectors are not available for pump alternation and the relays are not available with pulse features. The open collectors and relays can be controlled either automatically or manually. The alarm status (with flashing red message) will show on the display even with no output wired.
Two Open Collector Outputs
The Loop Leader is equipped with two NPN open collector outputs that may be set up for pulse outputs, alarms, timed pulses, stopwatch on/off, or disabled. Pulse outputs can be set to transmit the PV value (PV1 or PV2 if meter is in dual-scale mode). Output 2 may be used to generate a quadrature output based on the other open collector output. An output test mode is also selectable to generate pulses at a constant programmable frequency.
Two Optional Solid State Relays
The meter is optionally equipped with two solid state relays that may be set up for alarms, timer, stopwatch on/off, or pump alternation. The relays are rated at 250 VAC/DC @ 1 A for resistive loads and 75 VA @ 0.6 A, 250 VAC/DC max (Safe Area only) for inductive loads. Alarms are available based on the PV value or the digital input.
Loop-Powered Relay Alarm Trip
The Loop Leader, with its two solid state relays, can be used as a loop-powered relay alarm trip. The Loop Leader’s two relays can be programmed for two different kinds of latching operation: Reset via momentary contact closure at any time or reset via momentary contact closure only after the alarm has cleared. And the Loop Leader’s display can be programmed to turn red and flash an alarm message – something not found on most loop powered alarm trips.
Optional Isolated 4-20 mA Output
The isolated analog output signal can be configured to represent the process variable (PV1, PV2, or retransmit). While the output is nominally 4-20 mA, the signal will accurately accommodate underand over-ranges from 1 to 23 mA. The output can be reverse scaled such that the meter’s high calibration value outputs 4 mA and the meter’s low calibration outputs 20 mA.
Resetting the Open Collectors and Relays
The open collectors and relays (alarms) may be programmed to reset in the following ways:
- Automatic (AUTO): Alarm will reset automatically once the alarm condition has cleared.
- Automatic/Manual (AUTO.MAN): Alarm will reset automatically once the alarm condition has cleared but can also be reset using the Enter button (or whichever function key is set to acknowledge) at any time.
- Latching (LATCH): Alarm must be reset manually and can be done so at any time. Press the Enter (ACK) button at any time to clear the alarm.
- Latching with Reset after Cleared (L-CLEAR): Alarm must be reset manually and can only be done so after the alarm condition has cleared. Press the Enter (ACK) button after the alarm condition has cleared to reset the alarm.